Of course, the guest is handpicked mainly by the beauty guru herself Anna Wintour. This sophisticated lady is the editor and chief of Vogue magazine. She was the chair of the Met Gala since 1995 and chooses a celebrity co-chair for the event.
This unique ball has also a cause. The proceeds will benefit the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institue in New York City.
Moreover, after the announcement of the theme this year, celebrities and designers already planned ahead. In addition, great collaboration is the key towards that elegant and beautiful dress.
The Met Gala History
The Met Gala was started in 1948. It was established by Fashion Publicist Eleanor Lambert. This is a way to raise money for the newly founded costume institute and mark the opening of the annual exhibit.
The first gala was a dinner and the tickets on that time are sold only for $50.
The Met Gala Dress
It takes forever to just create a look for the Met Gala. Besides, all the dress in this ball are handcrafted and made of unusual and quality materials.
This is the best time for designers to showcase their talent. Apart from this, the world is watching. Due to the advent of social media, everyone can now participate with the craze.
Normally, the fashion police are the best critique for this event. But, today every people has their own opinion regarding the dresses as well as the celebrities who wore them.
In contrast to today’s beauty meter, likes and shares are the best gauge when it comes to how beautiful and unique the dress was on Met Gala.
The Met Gala Themes
The theme for this years event is Camp: Notes to fashion.
What is it really about? Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Is the Met Gala ready for some campfire boots and tents?
Not really, Camp is a certain theatricality, impersonation, and masquerades. In Victoria England, it becomes associated with queer subculture.
Camp according to Oscar Wilde is the actions and gestures of exaggerated emphasis used mostly by people with exceptional character.
This is where the theme was taken from and not the summer camps that we use to have.
Anna Wintour also admitted that she already planned the Met Gala for the next three years.
The Met Gala Themes Throughout the year
- 2019 Camp: Notes to Fashion
- 2018 Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination
- 2017 Rei Kawa Kubo/ Com des Garsons: Art of In-Between
- 2016 Manus x Machina Fashion in the mids of Technology
- 2015 China: Through the Looking Glass
- 2014 Charles James: Beyond Fashion
- 2013 Punk: Chaos to Couture
- 2012: “Schiaparelli and Prada: Impossible Conversations”
- 2011: “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty”
- 2010: “American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity”
- 2009: “The Model As Muse: Embodying Fashion”
- 2008: “Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy”
- 2007: “Poiret: King of Fashion”
- 2006: “AngloMania: Tradition and Transgression in British Fashion”
- 2005: “The House of Chanel”
- 2004: “Dangerous Liaisons: Fashion and Furniture in the 18th Century”
- 2003: “Goddess: The Classical Mode”
- 2002: No theme
- 2001: “Jacqueline Kennedy: The White House Years”
- 2000: No theme
- 1999: “Rock Style”
- 1998: “Cubism and Fashion”
- 1997: “Gianni Versace”
- 1996: “Christian Dior”
- 1995: “Haute Couture”